Tuesday, February 1, 2011

MY TOP 10 Simple Swaps

I have heard (and said) that "a healthy diet" is too much work, and there isn't enough time in the day to worry about it.  There were times in my life that I actually had convinced myself of this too.  I have spent long days at work followed by long nights with crying babies, and thinking that my "diet" was the last thing I wanted to think about.  It can be overwhelming, but once you break the I don't think I can do it attitude, you will be amazed at how quickly your family will start to change for the better.  Try some of these simple swaps.

  1. Replace white breads (even that "SMART" bread, read the label, GROSS!!) with 100% whole wheat, or even better multi grain breads. 
  2. Get rid of white pasta.  Whole wheat pasta is better for you and will keep you fuller longer.  I get mine at bulk barn, super cheap!  The kids have never noticed the switch.  We use spaghetti squash instead of pasta too, super yummy, and super filling!
  3. Have a glass of water and an orange, not a glass of juice.  Less sugars, and more vitamins in an actual orange!
  4. Get rid of the "kid friendly" cereals, cookies, snacks ( have you ever read what is in those lunch mate things? OR what about those dunkaroo's? My stomach hurts just thinking about it!).  You don't have to spend tons on sugar filled, chemically induced cereals.  Try mixing some organic cereals with "fillers" like puffed wheat,  puffed rice and ground flax and chia seeds.  Cuts the costs without cutting the benefit.  If you like it sweet top with a drizzle of organic honey, and some yummy sweet berries!
  5. Brown Rice, and Sweet Potato!  White rice and white potatoes are basically sugar, and are easily digested so you don't feel full for very long.  Switch to brown rice and filling sweet potato.
  6. Snack on fresh fruits and veggies.  Have you ever noticed those precut trays in the grocery store?  If you are pressed for time ( and don't mind spending a little extra) grab one, and use that for snacks.  I make my own trays and I swear I don't spend more than 5 mins getting them ready for the week now.
  7. POP? Vitamin water? Juices? Really need to avoid these, all are hidden behind great names like "Zero" "health drink", ect.  These companies spend millions to come up with these great distractions.
  8. YOGURT!  I love yogurt!  It is my favorite snack, but you have to be so careful.  Many contain dyes, sugars, gelatin, gums, and those "kids" ones are the worst ( again, our poor children!).  Try a plain organic yogurt with some ground flax, Cinnamon and fresh sliced apple, my favorite!!
  9.  Avoid Caffeine - HA! Anyone who knows me just LOLed! K, have cut down, A LOT!  I have my morning coffee (s) then drink a decaf tea in the afternoon, except on Sunday, I LOVE Sunday afternoon coffee. Caffeine increases stress hormones decreasing your ability to drop lbs, so just keep that in mind while you sip your 5th coffee today, lol!
  10. MAYO - K, this was my HARDEST thing to do.  I used to put Mayo on everything!  I loved sauces too, sugar filled bbq sauce, mayo, ketchup, mmmmm! Well I used to.  I now garnish with homemade salad dressings, bbq sauces, rubs, and DIJON.  WOW I love Dijon now! SOOOO good, even on my eggs! 
So that is the my list of the 10 things that I did to get started, what are some of yours?

Blog Archive