MMM, who can resist a bowl of homemade Chicken soup? As I get this post ready for you I have a pot of chicken lentil soup I made from the roasted chicken bones we had last night for dinner simmering on the stove, my house smells SOOO good right now!
If you have time, and leftover chicken bones you can make your own broth. Simple place the bones, a couple cloves of garlic, a cooking onion cut in half, some celery and carrot chunks in a pot of water, bring it to a boil, then simmer on low for at least 30 mins, or more if you want more flavor. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bones, onions, carrots and celery, and VOILA your stock!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 cooking onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 med carrots
- 2 stalks diced celery
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup dry green lentils, or brown rice, or whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch each of cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and salt.
- 1 cup of any other diced veggies you like
- In a large pot saute onion, garlic, carrots, and celery over med heat until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low for 30 mins, or until lentils are soft
- Serve and ENJOY!