Monday, September 26, 2011

Sharing a "Slice" of Life!!



Life can be off sometimes, don't you find?

Things you think are going to be amazing, just aren't.  Then the things you fear my totally flop, are superior!

Take for example my Cajun meatless meatloaf.  ALL the ingredients sounded too good to be true, and guess what, they where!  But the pumpkin pie I made this weekend I was so nervous would be a flop, was AMAZING! 

Perhaps that is a lesson to be learned, you can't be perfect all the time, or maybe don't expect life to always turn out the way you want it to, cause it won't.  Or you can't always win, but you can always try again!  I think I will do that, try the Meatless Loaf again, with a couple little tweecks!

So, do you wanna know what made my pumpkin pie soo great??  Try this recipe!

I will admit, I used a tender flake crust. I just didn't have the time to do my own.  But I have used Mamma Pea's Vegan Pie Crust before for my apple crisp pie, and it was VERY good!  I am going to make this recipe as Tarts for Thanksgiving with her pie crust, can't wait!  You can find it in her book.

Maple Roasted Pumpkin Pie Filling

Ingredients
  • 1 med pie pumpkin
  • 1 cup dark maple syrup
  • 2 tbps pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
  • 3 eggs beaten
Steps
  1. Cut your pumpkin into quarters, and scoop out seeds
  2. Boil the pumpkin until soft and you can easily scope out the flesh
  3. Once finished boiling let cool so you can handle, then scope out flesh into a shallow baking dish
  4. spread pumpkin in the dish, and bake at 325 for 45 min to an hour, making sure that most of the water is evaporated.
  5. Remove the dish from the oven, mash the pumpkin with a potato masher, and mix in maple syrup and spices.
  6. Return dish to oven, and bake again at 325 for another 35 - 40 mins. or until moisture is gone and mixture is like an apple butter.
  7. Allow mixture to cool.  Once cooled add the eggs, whisk all together with a fork, and pour into pie shell.
  8. Bake pie for 45 mins in 350 oven, or until mixture is set.
  9. Serve with Maple Whip Cream!

Blog Archive