Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Guest Post - Roberta on Yoga


Welcome Roberta to the blog.  I asked her to help us understand why so many people love Yoga, and what it means to her personally.  I think she did a great job.
Photo Credit
"I instantly fell in love with yoga. It made my back pain go away when I was pregnant. I was hooked on the physical benefits of the practice. It wasn’t until I had children that I began to experience the personal well-being of yoga. After a busy day of momming, it felt great to give up control to a wonderful teacher who would guide me through postures that would work out the kinks in my body but also quiet my mind. The decadence of final relaxation – to lay on my back with no one waiting for me to open their granola bar or asking me if they can run with scissors, or any of the other 600 demands I field in an average day – well, it felt like 5 minutes of heaven! It is because I love my children that I keep a regular yoga practice. I can be a better mom if I can live each day with peace in my heart.


For some, yoga is strictly a physical practice, another way to work out. There is also a philosophical side to yoga. And one of the basic principles is to be present. As a chronic worrier – living in the present has really helped me see life more clearly. Worrying assumes that something will happen in the future. The future has not been created yet. Living in the moment allows your mind to be more peaceful. And worrying never affects the outcome, worrying just clutters up the present. When you focus on problems – you get more problems. When you focus on possibilities, you get more opportunities. The physical aspect of yoga is amazing, but ultimately, it is a path to a better you. Through yoga I am finding my path to being the person I want to be. I may not be there yet – but I am closer than I was yesterday.


Yoga is amazing for its ability to create space in our bodies – but it can also create more space in our hearts to love unconditionally, to trust without suspicions and to live each day with gratitude."

You can find out more information about Roberta and her Yoga practice on her Website: http://www.amamayoga.com/





Blog Archive