Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Perfecting the cookie...

This ones for the kids. I posted a video from Jamie Oliver about how important it is to feed our children for their future. Lets face it, no childhood would be complete without a big glass of Milk (my boys are in LOVE with Almond milk right now) and a yummy warm cookie right out of the oven.  My hubbies Grandmother made the BEST cookies I have ever had, but I can bet money they where FULL of butter, sugars and white flour.  The M in L took over the recipe and when we visited over Christmas and I enjoyed WAY to many of them.  When we got home hubby asked me to try to recreate the recipe, but of course I would have to do It MY WAY.  So, out came Mix Master K, my cook books, and my laptop and I started to research. 

How did I ever bake before Mix Master K?


Google "healthy, vegan, low sugar" or any combination there of "cookies" and you will discover what seems like millions of recipes. Each author claiming that these will be the best cookies I have ever tasted, or that I will never need to try another recipe again! But I wonder, how do they know that these are the best I have ever had? Did they TRY Nanna's?  Have they been stocking me, and eating all the same cookies as I have? Or why will I never want to try another recipe, will theirs put a spell on me? Ok, maybe I am being a tad bit dramatic, but seriously, should we make those claims?

This recipe is one of the tastiest vegan cookies I HAVE ever had! (See I can say that cause I know what cookies I have had before). It took a couple batches to get it just the way I wanted, and I am so glad I kept trying. I think my family was too, none of the batches turned out bad, just the first 4 were only ok in my opinion. Plus I got to use my NEW Kitchenaid stand mixer, A.K.A. Mixmaster K! your jealous I know. So here u ya go, the recipe!
The FINAL Batch, and the BEST in MY opinion!

Ingredients
1/2 c vegan margin
1/2 c coconut oil
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/4 c applesauce
1 tsp each Cinnamon, vanilla and ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c oats
1 c crushed pecans
2 tbsp ground flax

Steps

Place first 6 ingredients in your mixer bowl and cream together.
Turn the mixer to the slowest setting and slowly add the last 5 ingredients.
Once all mixed I added dark chocolate chunks, but that is optional.  Use what you love, chocolate, dried fruits, WHATEVER!!
Bake at 350 for 15 to 20 mins.
Cool and ENJOY with a tall glass of cold milk


Blog Archive