Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A big Bowl of Celebration!

This weekend was my oldest sons birthday.  We had my parents up for a visit and I wanted to show them that a plant based meal can be yummy and fun!  I had book marked a recipe from one of my favorite sites (Oh She Glows) about how to make this delectable looking chili in a pumpkin bowl.

It was a bit time consuming, but I tried my best to do it in stages.  That way we where all ready to go for meal time.

I made my favorite chili recipe, I did not follow the recipe on the blog.  I made it 3 days ahead then put it in the freezer.  The day before the dinner I preped the pumpkin bowls, then refrigerated them until I needed them.  The day of the dinner I defrosted the chili and placed it in the bowls, baked them and served them with whole wheat garlic nan bread.

Pumpkin bowls

Ingredients

Small pie pumpkins (one for each guest)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Steps

Remove tops from the pumpkins and scoop out all the seeds (save the seeds for roasting, recipe coming soon)
Rub inside of each pumpkin with oil salt and pepper.
Roast pumpkins with the tops on for 30 mins in a 350 oven.  Let cool and store in the fridge if you are using them at a later date.
If you are using the bowls right away, fill each bowl with chili and continue baking for another 30 mins.  If the bowls have been refrigerated, bake with the chili in them at 350 for at least 40 mins or until everything's nice and warm.

Serve pumpkins in a bowl just incase you poke through the skin as you scope at the fleshy pumpkins insides!





Blog Archive