Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Essentials




This one is for you Sarah.  I had a chuckle this morning when I read your comment because I always do my grocery list Thursday, so I thought perfect timing!


Here are the essentials I have on hand every week to make a wide variety of great meals.  Remember if you want to live a healthy lifestyle shop the outside of the grocery store first.  This is were the fresh "real" foods are.  Then venture to the frozen veg, and canned veggies.  Remember that bulk food stores can be your best friend too.  I stock up on pasta, rice, baking needs, COFFEE (rain forest organic, BEST EVER!!), green tea, spices, oats, cereals and SO much more.

IN THE FRIDGE:

Fruits and Veggies
  • carrots (5 lb bag, for me anyway my kids are rabbits)
  • celery (4 - 5 stalks, I eat about 1/2 one a day, my fav!)
  • cooking onion (5 lb bag)
  • red onion
  • bag spinach
  • box of organic spring mix salad
  • garlic (LOTS!!)
  • lemons
  • apples
  • frozen bag mixed berries
  • frozen bag of veg. mix
  • a large variety of salad veg and fruit
Breads
  • 100% whole wheat bread
  • whole grain wrap
Meats
  • chicken breast ( bone in skin on are cheaper, and when you cook them have more taste)
  • extra lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken
  • FISH - frozen tilapia, sole, or halibut
  • large bag frozen cooked shrimp (no fat, pure protien sorce)
Dairy
  • non fat sour cream
  • organic yogurt
  • EGGS!!
IN THE PANTRY

  • OIL - sesame oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil and Omega oil
  • VINEGAR - Rice, redwine, white and white wine
  • Canned Beans - black, red, chick peas, mixed
  • Canned Tomatoes - No SALT added whole, diced, crushed and stewed
  • Stock - reduced salt chicken, veg and beef
  • Whole wheat pasta
  • brown rice
  • well stocked spice rack - I have one with 20 different spices (NOT the spice mixes, they have preseravties)
  • ground flax and chia seeds
  • rolled oats, spelt and barley flakes

Blog Archive