- 8 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 tsp salt
- half a pineapple (peeled, cored and cut into thin strips)
- 2 carrots (julienned or shredded)
- 1 sweet red pepper (thinly sliced)
- half a white onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 vegtable oil
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- Toss cabage with salt and let stand until soft (1 to 2 hours). Drain; squeeze out extra liquid. In LARGE bowl toss cabbage, carrots, pineapple, pepper and onion.
- Whisk together mayo, vinegar, pepper, sugar and hot sauce, then toss with cabbage mixture. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Toss before serving.
It keeps in the refridgerator for up to 4 days.
Bread Maker Hamburgh Buns
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons non-fat milk powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 packet yeast (about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 2 cloves grlic
- 1 green onion diced
- 1 egg white
- Add all ingredients to to your bread machine (omit greeen onion and egg white) in the order given (or according to bread machine's instructions) and set on "dough" cycle.
- When cycle finishes, turn out onto a floured board and punch down.
- Knead 4 or 5 times; add a little more flour as you knead if necessary to keep it from sticking.
- Cover dough with a clean dishcloth and let rest for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet; sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Press dough into a circle and cut into 8 even wedges; form each wedge into a ball then flatten into a smooth and fairly even circle.
- Place each circle on the baking sheet and let rest for about 20 minutes.
- Mish together egg white and green onion and brush over top of buns.
- Bake at 375 for about 18 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Shape these in a long narrow shape for hot dog or sausage buns, or make small shapes for party sandwiches.
The flour you should be able to substitue at least 1 1/2 cups for whole wheat and spelt flour.
If you want a glossy top rember to brush an egg/water mixture on top before baking. And you can add some seame seeds to the top for a bit of texture
Black and White Bean and Quinoa Salad
1/3 cup (75 mL) quinoa
1 (19 oz/540 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (19 oz/540 mL) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup (250 mL) diced cucumber
1/4 cup (50 mL) diced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh coriander
1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cook quinoa until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and rinse.
In large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, coriander, oregano, salt and pepper.
Add quinoa, black beans, navy beans, cucumber, onion, jalapeño pepper and coriander; toss to combine.