Friday, September 16, 2011

How to make Memories and Home made apple sauce.......

This has become somewhat of a family tradition around my house. I am hoping that just like the summer strawberry picking that my Mom passed to us and us to our boys, my boys will pass fall apple picking to their families.

Fall is my favorite time of year. I love the cool crisp air, the sweet smell of the falling leaves, the beautiful aray of color in the forest canapy, and the wonderous bounty of the harvest.
I love curling up on the couch in a nice wool blanket with a hot cup of apple cider, or crawling into bed under the cold crisp sheets.
I love waking in the morning knowing the room will be chilled by the open window, then realizing how nice and warm it is under the blankets!
I love when the boys crawl into bed with us on a shivering Sunday morning and we all warm up together.
But most of all I love the smell of the apple orchard.

Heres how to make your own yummy Memories apple sauce,

Head to your local apple orchard, pick lots of apples and take lots of pictires.

Make sure to climb the trees to get that super yummy mac that is hiding in the top!

Weigh your apples, and marvel at how much you just picked

Take your harvest home, peel and chop enough apples to fill your crock pot 3/4 full.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add a little apple cider, stir, put the lid on.
Set the time for 10 hours on low (I do mine overnight so I have fresh warm apple sauce to top the morning oatmeal)
Use a potato masher to mash the apples for a rustic chunky sauce, or a blender for a smooth sauce.
To make apple butter, redo the 10 hour setting. You will have a thicker, more applely sauce!

Mix it up with other fruits, try apple peach, or apple blue berry, or apple rhubarb! So good!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

Blog Archive